In the late 1920s, digging at a chalk pit near Finglesham exposed some old bones. Kent Archaeological Society excavations in 1928-1929 by William Stebbing and William Whiting exposed about 30 graves, well furnished, with some continental grave goods. Their finds were published as ‘Jutish Cemetery near Finglesham, Kent’ in Vol. 41 of Archaeologia Cantiana. As well, PastScape has the Historic Environment Record which includes a brief description of their finds, including grid reference coordinates. That converts to 51.232552 1.329714 (WGS84). Looking at the site on Google Maps shows the chalky soils well, especially on the hilltop where the chalk pit was.

Between 1959 and 1967, Sonia Chadwick Hawkes excavated another 216 graves at the site. Work on preparing reports and analysis continued as time allowed, but the cemetery remained unpublished at her death in 1999. In 2006, the Grave Inventory, along with several specialist reports and an introduction was published. Four additional analytical chapters prepared by Guy Grainger in the 1980s can be consulted at the Oxford University Institute of Archaeology.